You’ve already taken the first step in building your empire: joining Avon (or another direct sales company) – now what? Here are a few basics to keep in mind:
1. LOVE what you sell. If you don’t believe in a specific product or line, don’t push it. Customers are smart and they WILL know you’re faking it. Find a few products that resonate with you, then demo it, review it, video yourself using it and rave about it – customers will want what you’re having if your excitement is genuine!
2. Be patient. This is the hardest step for every new entrepreneur. We all think it will happen immediately and without much effort. Wrong on both counts! Just keep doing what you’re doing – add skills, knowledge and platforms until it starts coming together. And it WILL come together. Just put in the work in the meantime!
3. Be yourself! We all want to catch a bit of someone else’s magic in a jar, but we ALL have our own magic: quirks, personalities and unique perspectives/opinions/life experiences. YOU are the magic ingredient to any sale you make – keep that in mind!
4. Forget high pressure or guilt sales. The days of brow beating or guilting someone into making a purchase (hello Girl Scout cookies!) should be long behind you. Build your business the right way: showing off quality products at affordable costs that will benefit your customers – then back it up with killer customer service! Don’t forget that Avon helps their reps out here with a 90-day 100% satisfaction guarantee!
5. Follow up. Another difficult step for many newbies: ask for the order! Provide support, knowledge and samples, then ask what you can add to your next order for them!
6. Set goals. We all have goals, whether or not we think we do. What do we want to accomplish in the current campaign, in the next month, the next quarter or the next year? I suggest setting mostly realistic and achievable goals, but make sure to set one or two goals that seem at least a bit out of reach – those are the goals we are most proud of when we achieve them! So, write them down, share them in your groups or with your family/friends and start aiming high!
Got more basics I’ve missed? Share them in the comments!